October 29, 2012
Hurricane Sandy has made landfall in Atlantic City this evening. Over 7900 flights have been cancelled today in the US, with the majority of the disruptions in the Washington, New York and Philadelphia airport locations.
Advice for clients and travelers
American Express Global Business Travel is monitoring this storm cell and the impact on travelers. Weather is difficult to predict, so travelers are encouraged to keep their plans flexible.
Recommendations for Travelers and Travel Bookers
- Travelers should contact the airline or local airport to find out if their scheduled flight has been cancelled or will take off as normal.
- We are already experiencing very high call volumes to our travel centers; wait times are longer than normal. Please delay calls to our travel centers regarding non-urgent travel and/or utilize online booking tools where available, to avoid longer than average hold times.
- If you are stranded and require immediate assistance, please contact us via your normal booking channel.
- Travelers are advised to pay attention to local weather reports.
- Should you require immediate changes to your itinerary, please contact American Express via your normal booking channel.
- In an emergency, travelers are encouraged to follow the guidance of local authorities.
As always, thank you for your partnership as we work together through challenging situations that impact you and your travelers.